Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chickpea Noodle Soup with Shiitakes and Baby Bok Choy

This Chickpea noodle soup is quite possibly more delicious than its chickeny counterpart. It is another beautiful veganomicon comfort food with an asian twist. The shiitakes and baby bok choy are additions of my own that I think complement the earthiness of the miso paste and soba noodles sooo well. Plus they are both in season so you can get them at your local farmers market for cheap! The original recipe called for cremini mushrooms, but I personally think shiitakes are better. In everything. Yummm shiitakes.
First you want to start by sautéing your carrots in the garlic and onions. After a few minutes add the mushrooms and cook those up for a lil' bit. I added my herbs right after I added my mushrooms, streaming in oil to make sure everything got nice and evenly cooked. When the veggies are almost done throw the boy choy in and then deglaze the pot with some soy sauce. 
I used water and "better than chicken" bouillon cubes for my base (but you add the miso paste at the end so if you just use water that's cool). So, after you add your water/stock/bouillon base put your chickpeas/garbanzo (SAME THING) in. I just got canned ones but if you want to get raw ones and soak and prep them that is entirely up to you. Let your soup come to a boil and then break the noodles in half/thirds/sixteenths and throw them in the pot. After that you just kinda gotta wait until everything is all cooked together, add your miso paste and you are ready to eat. YES. Delicious AND easy. And healthy! And vegan! What else could you ask for? :)

Okay, here is my ever so slightly modified recipe:
Olive oil
1 big can of chickpeas
1 Onion, finely chopped
How ever many carrots you want
lots of garlic (I used three big cloves), minced
2 cups shiitake mushrooms
2 heads of baby bok choy
thyme/oregano/rosemary/pepper/whatever spices appeal to you
Approx 1/2 cup red (yellow would work here too) miso paste
6ish cups water/broth
6 oz (quarter sized roll) soba noodles



Live Long and Prosper! With delicious soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment