Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tofu, Portobellos, Quinoa and Salad - Vegan 101

Thought I'd throw some stereotypical vegan foods atcha. And make them look seww good.

As much as I love to experiment with food, there is something so satisfying about some vegan staples like baked tofu, roasted BBQ portobello mushrooms, quinoa with peanut sauce and a fresh salad - it's like the amalgamation of stereotypical vegan foods all smushed into one delicious and satisfying spread (also my computer keeps putting those annoying red lines under QUINOA. I know how to spell quinoa silly computer - someone needs to update your word library to include this delicious goosefoot grain). There's a reason we vegans like these things.

BAKED TOFU

This is extra firm tofu. I buy it pretty much any establishment in which groceries are sold that isn't also a gas station.
Then I cut it into squares or rectangles or really any shape I feel up for
Then I dip it in soy sauce or Braggs
Then I "bread it" in nutritional yeast
Then I put some spices or garlic on it
Then I put it in the oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and delicious

PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS

These are portobello mushrooms. I buy them in a two pack at Trader Joes for like two dollars.
Then I wash them lightly with warm water and cut off excessive stemage
Neat little basting brush
Then I take a neat little baster brush like this one
<------- (picture a mushroom instead of corn)
Then I baste each mushroom on both sides with BBQ sauce (that I also buy at Trader Joes)
 Then I put them (still whole) on a greased cookie sheet (or grill if it's nice out!)
Then I bake them at 425 for about 30 minutes-ish. Really until they look cooked but not shrivelled
Then I cut them into delicious slices to be displayed over Quinoa



QUINOA

This is tri-colored quinoa. I buy it in bulk at Market of Choice.
Then I put it in a pot with equal amounts of vegetable broth (or 1/2 water 1/2 veggie broth)
Then I bring it to a boil.
Then I let it simmer until it is fluffy and translucent (about 25-30 minutes)

PEANUT SAUCE

This is peanut sauce. It is not like the peanut sauce I use for salad rolls. It is thinner and more savory. I start with a delicious creamy peanut butter like the one by Earth Balance (the best peanut butter EVER)
Then I put a couple of spoon fulls in a saucepan with the stove on medium low
Then I put about a quarter cup of soy sauce in
Then I put a couple tablespoons of Sriracha in
Then I put about 1.5 tablespoons of rice vinegar in
Then I put about a tablespoon of Agave Nectar in
Then I put a couple tablespoons of lemon juice in
Then I put some finely minced garlic in
Then I raise the temperature slightly and whisk it all together, adding up to a cup of water as it starts to thicken. I like my peanut sauce a little thinner for the purpose of this meal.

These are the things that I do and the foods I eat as a vegan.

So there is a little Vegan 101 meal for ya! Tastes so good when it hits your lips. And it'll make you feel good too.

Promise.

Like Bill Clinton. Who recently said this after his by-pass surgery:

“Since 1986, several hundred people who have tried essentially a plant-based diet, not ingesting any cholesterol from any source, has seen their bodies start to heal themselves — break up the arterial blockage, break up the calcium deposits around the heart. 82 percent of the people who have done this have had this result, so I want to see if I can be one of them.”

Live long and prosper! And make it taste delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment