Friday, August 5, 2011

Berry Season Overload

This is my fridge right now. I have the house to myself and I have a whole half flat of berries, six apples, two mangoes, an entire watermelon and eight bananas.

I feel like I may have a problem.

And don't even get me started on the vegetables clogging up my produce drawers.

After my self-reflection and analysis, I think my fruit-binge is caused by this creeping fear of berry season ending (strawberries are already in their last week!) and my need to get as much seasonal fresh fruit while I can. I know I can freeze them or bake with them or whatnot to extend their shelf life (I haven't started canning yet but it is a hobby I see in my near future) but I really just like fresh berries.

A lot of fresh berries. Fruit in general really. I think I ate a whole half of a watermelon yesterday.

This is why I haven't been blogging as many recipes. I've just been eating fruit.

I have another problem. Its name is Basil.


I never ever thought I'd see the day when I had too much basil. But that day has come. And it's still growing! All of the seedlings we planted took off and now we have the transplant that has thrived in ADDITION to all the new growth basil plants.

I don't know what to do! I use it in everything, I have made pesto like 3 times and yet it grows faster than I can pluck it off the little branches!


Basil everywhere!


In other news! Turtle Island in Hood River (maker of Tofurkey and other vegan goods like So Delicious Ice Cream and many others) saw a 25% growth in sales this year!

Very very exciting. Even when the economy is down, vegan companies are growing exponentially! They are building a new $10 million dollar plant and currently estimate that over 4,000 stores carry some kind of Turtle Mountain product.

This is amazing news for Turtle Island and for vegans everywhere!!
Mmm Tofurkey Brats



So if anyone has any killer recipe ideas for fruit and/or basil, please let me know!

I'll try them and post them :)

Until then, live long and prosper. And enjoy the bounty of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment