Thursday, December 20, 2012

Massaged Kale Salad w/Lemon Garlic Tahini Dressing


Yet another Vitamix inspired recipe for you today...this time I take on Dressing.

And kale.

Pretty much if you've ever met me you know that I LOVE kale.

I talk about kale an inappropriate amount. Sometimes I am reminded how socially awkward I am when I find myself talking in excess in public about things like kale...and vitamixes. In other words, I found yet another way to mix two of my obsession into one amazing dish.

Even if you don't like kale you would probably like this. When you 'massage' the kale it gets all soft and pliable, losing its rigidity and bitterness to take on more of a salad-green type texture but with lots more flavor and lots more vitamins.

Here, I combine kale, homemade dressing, chopped carrots, avocado and a handful of spicy roasted pumpkin seeds for a powerhouse lunch.

 Massaged Kale Salad
Serves 2 
  • 1 bunch lacinato or 'dinosaur' kale, chopped
  • 1/4 cup lemon-garlic-tahini dressing (recipe below)
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 2 carrots, chopped or grated (I used the Vmix on setting 2 for about 20 seconds to chop mine!)
  • About 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

Lemon Garlic Tahini Dressing
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • Juice from 1 large or two small lemons
  • 2 Tbsp tahini
  • 1 Tbsp white or yellow miso paste
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger (doesn't need to be grated if you are throwing it into the Vmix)
  • 2 Tbsp water
  • 1 small handful basil or parsley 

To assemble the dressing: place all ingredients in the Vmix or blender (or food processor) and blend until smooth.

I love the vitamix so much because it has this amazing ability to make everything super creamy and delicious. From smoothies, to soup, to this dressing, I guarantee you won't be able to get the same creamy consistency with a regular blender as you do from a Vmix.

They really are amazing.

Once the dressing is blended, pour it over your chopped kale. Then, using your hands, 'massage' the dressing into the kale for about 3-5 minutes or until you can feel the kale softened under your fingertips. Taste a sample and if it doesn't seem 'massaged' enough - feel free to give it a little more time. You won't over-massage it.

Then, once your kale is nice and relaxed, add in the carrots, avocado and pumpkin seeds and mix until just combined.


Such a perfect, light summery dish. Just in time for the dead of winter and (almost) the longest day of the year.

And the end of the world.

...

But hey, if the world is going to end tomorrow, I want to be eating kale.



Live long and prosper...and when I say live long, I hope it's longer than just December 21st, 2012 ;)

(Don't worry, NASA says we'll be fine)

1 comment:

  1. I am so inlove with kale. It's very delicious and nutritious. Did you know that this is rich in vitamin K?

    ReplyDelete