Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Wonton Soup

Sometimes I get the strangest cravings. It's like some sensory memory is triggered and after that point, I just can't get whatever the catalyst was out of my brain.

So, when the craving arose for wonton soup (despite it being the first meal in several days that didn't in some way incorporate the Vitamix) I figured I would try to make it myself.

Wonton soup is traditionally made with a clear broth (usually chicken) and dumplings filled with either pork or shrimp and ginger. Obviously, none of those things would work in my vegan version so, naturally, I modified.

This is a very non-traditional wonton soup. So non-traditional I hesitate to even call it wonton soup. But it's the closest thing I can think of and it totally hit the spot for my wonton soup craving so what the heck? Wonton soup it is!

I had some of Pacific's Vegan Pho broth in the cupboard, as well as a Imagine's 'No Chicken' broth. Since I couldn't decide which one to use, I went half and half.

 Wonton Soup
(serves 2)
  • 1 tsp + 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 medium carrots, diced
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 cup Vegetarian Pho base
  • 1 cup 'No Chicken' broth
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup 'mixed wild dried mushroom medley' (from Trader Joe's)
  • 8-10 wonton wrappers
  • 1/4 cup TVP, reconstituted with tamari or soysauce and water
  • 2 large handfuls baby bok choy/napa cabbage or kale (I had kale so I used it!)
  • Green onions, diced (for garnish - if you have them. I didn't so I really don't even know why I'm including this. I think it just makes for a nice presentation)

Begin by sauteing the first tsp of ginger, the garlic and the carrots in coconut oil for about 3-4 minutes. Then, add the broth and the water as well as the dried mushrooms.

While the broth is simmering, prepare your 'wontons.'

Mix together your reconstituted TVP and the second tsp of ginger. This is your filling.

 Take a wonton wrapper, lay it face up and place a small spoonful of TVP in the center (about a tsp). Using warm water, moisten the edges of the wrapper and then fold it over like a calzone. There are lots of techniques for shaping and folding wontons but, like I said, this is very nontraditional wonton soup and I was hungry so I just folded them in half and called it a day.

Once your wontons (dumplings, whatever you want to call them) are ready, dump them directly into the broth and continue to simmer over medium heat. Cook the wontons in the broth until they float.

Then add your chopped up greens and let them wilt down for a minute or so (up to two if you're feeling really crazy).

That's it! A makeshift wonton soup! It would never be served in any kind of respectable Asian eating establishment but man did it taste good!

Give it a try - and put your own spin on it if you've got the time :)







The other thing I've been craving lately (in awkwardly large amounts)? Grapes. I just want them all the time. Thankfully Costco is only minutes away and they carry grapes in awkwardly large amounts. Perfect.

 Do you ever get cravings? What do you think causes them?


Live long and prosper, and give into your cravings on occasion ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment