Sunday, February 19, 2012

Thai Yellow Curry with "Chick'n"

As I've stated on my blog before, I'm not a big fan of "meat posers" (aka vegan meat alternatives posing as meat). One - I think it's kind of gross. I mean I don't eat meat so why pretend like I do? And two - meat posers are usually much more highly processed than tofu or tempeh or other meat alternatives.

That being said I can't live without Field Roast and I do recognize that meat posers (such as Trader Joe's "chick'n") occasionally have an appropriate time and place.

Like in this yellow curry!

Using a meat poser in this context is great because it looks like meat and has a similar consistency but the complex flavors of the curry mask the slight flavor and textural differences (plus 20 grams of protein in one 110 calorie serving!!). I think this dish could have fooled a meat eater ;) Not that I would ever do that!

  

See the little "chick'n" pieces? Preeeetty convincing if you ask me. 

This was the first curry I've ever made and it turned out BOMB. I think with the right curry paste it's hard to go wrong, but I also attempted to make it a little lighter than normal curry (subbing light coconut milk and veggie broth for full fat) so I was concerned that it might not be as creamy or satisfying. 

My concern was unfounded - this curry tasted great, came together easily AND made killer left overs.

Thai Yellow Curry with "Chick'n"
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 medium white or other starchy potato, cut into 1/4 inch chunks
  • 2 carrots, chopped roughly
  • 1 bell pepper (I used orange yellow or red would be fine too), cored and chopped
  • 1/2 bag frozen peas! (I always keep peas in the freezer. They are the best)
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 1-2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup yellow curry paste
  • 1 Tbsp curry seasoning
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon or lime (optional - just a flavor enhancer)
  • Cilantro to garnish (optional)
Begin by softening the onions in the coconut oil for about 4-5 minutes.

Add the potatoes and carrots and veggie broth as needed and cook on low for an additional 3-4 minutes before adding the bell pepper and peas.

Turning the burner up to medium heat, slowly stir in the coconut milk and about a cup of veggie broth and allow to warm briefly.

Stir in the curry paste and seasonings until well combined and creamy. Add more veggie broth if needed (I like my curries saucy!)

Allow the entire mixture to simmer for 20 or so minutes. You can add more spices or curry paste as you need throughout this process.

Squeeze in your lemon or lime, spoon curry over brown cilantro rice and top with fresh cilantro sprigs!

So easy and so satisfying.

Why go out to Thai food when you can make this at home?!

Live long and prosper! And don't be afraid to try something new - even if it involves "meat posers" ;)!

No comments:

Post a Comment