Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mushroom Chana Masala with Cheesy Rice

As part of upping the rigor of my training schedule I have been trying to incorporate more varieties of protein into my diet. I have never believed that I have been protein deficit, but let's just say I've always gone a lot heavier on the veggie and grain portions of my diet and now that I am training at a higher capacity, I find myself craving proteins a lot more.

Fortunately, there are tons of creative and delicious ways to get proteins at all means and - aside from picking up a new protein powder which I love - I have been consciously trying to create recipes that are packed full of plant-based proteins.

Also making an appearance in this dish was broccoli! Not because I thought it was a particularly necessary ingredient but because it came in my second box from Organics to You!

Along with the broccoli was kale, lettuce, beets, carrots, leeks, garlic, tangelos, oranges, tangerines, 3 different varietals of pears and pink lady apples! I love these boxes beyond words. Thursdays are my favorite days of the week!




















Nothing makes my week like fresh produce!!



Anyway, back to the food...

This recipe, adapted from a traditional chana masala, utilizes mushrooms and broccoli and coconut milk for some new flavor combinations.

I served it over steamed brown rice with 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast stirred in (Cheesy rice! So easy - 2 ingredients!)

Mushrom Chana Masala
  • 2 tsp coconut oil 
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
  • 8 oz. crimini mushrooms (or baby bellas) washed and sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 2 Tbsp coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup veggie broth 
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp tumeric
  • 2 tsp garam masala 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Start by sauteing diced onion in coconut oil until it begins to turn translucent.

Add sliced mushrooms and saute for an additional 4 minutes.

Add garlic, broccoli, chickpeas and saute everything for 3-4 more minutes.

Then add in the coconut milk, veggie broth and spices and allow the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes.


Spoon over cheesy rice and enjoy the vitamin, protein, fiber and flavor power combo!



Live long and prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment